Advice on how to encourage open communication with your teen and what we suggest you discuss before Schoolies.
Resources and advice to help your teen look after their wellbeing and relationships during Schoolies.
Make sure your teen knows their rights and responsibilities when it comes to Schoolies.
Find out what support is available to teens celebrating Schoolies on the Gold Coast.
Information about various Schoolies locations.
As Schoolies gets closer, you might be feeling conflicted about letting your teen head off to Schoolies. On one hand, you want them to celebrate their achievements and know that you trust them as they head off for their well-deserved break. On the other hand, you want to keep them safe and away from high-risk situations.
Every year, we put on the Safer Schoolies Gold Coast Response to ensure the holiday period is as safe as possible for school leavers, local residents, businesses and the community in general. In 2021, the Safer Schoolies Gold Coast Response will be activated from Saturday 20 – Friday 26 November.
Our seven night safety response is not an event or festival to attract school leavers. It is a whole of government response that provides a nightly program of free diversionary activities which aim to deter school leavers from high risk behaviour and engage them in an alcohol and drug free, schoolies-only, area.
The Gold Coast has been the chosen destination for many Queensland high school graduates since the 1970s. The Queensland Government’s Safer Schoolies team operates a safety response for the first...
The Gold Coast has been the chosen destination for many Queensland high school graduates since the 1970s.
The Queensland Government’s Safer Schoolies team operates a safety response for the first week of Schoolies each year, focused on enhancing the safety of young people and decreasing risk taking behaviour.
The Safer Schoolies Gold Coast Response is free for legitimate Year 12 school leavers.
It includes wristbanding for legitimate Year 12 school leavers, providing nightly access to the drug and alcohol-free Schoolies Hub, where they can celebrate safely in the company of their peers.
In addition, the Response week features on the ground support provided by numerous government agencies and services, community and volunteer organisations.
For more information, visit www.saferschoolies.qld.gov.au or follow us on Facebook or Instagram - @SchooliesGC.
There is always someone to help
To help keep your teen as safe as possible, a range of FREE support is provided for schoolies holidaying on the Gold Coast during Saturday 20 – Friday 26 November 2021.
Whether they need a friend to talk to, someone to walk them home, an in-room pancake cook up or first aid, know that there will always be someone available to help them - without judgement.
- Safer Schoolies Volunteers – whether they need a walk home, are feeling unwell, have a friend who has drunk too much or just need a friendly face to talk to, a team of volunteers (wearing the bright orange vests) will always be available to help. The Safer Schoolies Volunteers walk the streets of Surfers Paradise from 6pm nightly.
- Recharge Zones head to a Recharge Zone for free water, a quiet place to regroup, or support of any kind including medical attention without judgement. Two Recharge Zone tents can be found within the Schoolies Hub (right near each stage) and one outside the entry on the Esplanade.
- Schoolies Support Space – Staffed by trained volunteers, the Schoolies Support Space is a private and safe place for you to rest, rehydrate and receive support in Surfers Paradise. Located at the top of Cavill Mall on The Esplanade, the Schoolies Support Space operates daily from 10am–5pm, and is free for young people in need to attend.
- Emergency Treatment Centre – head here for free treatment for medical emergencies or any mental health concerns. Located on the Esplanade and open from 7pm nightly.
- Chill Out Zone – providing a safe and supervised chill out space for those who are drug or alcohol affected, offering free water, first aid and general support. The Chill Out Zone van can be found in the nightclub precinct on Orchid Avenue, from 9pm nightly.
- Red Frogs – whether they need help mediating a problem with roommates, a walk home back to their accommodation or would simply love an in-room pancake cook up for them and their mates, Red Frogs Australia are the people for the job. Get your teen to call the Red Frogs hotline on 1300 557 123 (available 24 hours a day) or download the Red Frogs Schoolies app. Please note: this is not an emergency hotline – Schoolies requiring emergency assistance should always call Triple Zero (000).
The Safer Schoolies Gold Coast Response is activated during the peak Schoolies period - 20 - 26 November 2021.