• Tips and advice to help you act responsibly and with respect during Schoolies.

  • Make sure you’re aware of the relevant laws wherever you to choose to celebrate your Schoolies.

  • Rights and responsibilities when it comes to your Schoolies accommodation.

Accommodation can make or break having a great time at Schoolies. We recommend that you carefully consider your accommodation and who you are staying with.

When you’re booking your stay, you’re entering in to a legal contract with your accommodation provider – as are all of your friends who are staying with you.

Take the time to read and understand your responsibilities (under the booking terms and conditions, house rules and accommodation agreement) because when you sign them, you are agreeing to the rules and associated consequences if you, or one of your friends, don't comply.

Staying with mates

If you plan to share accommodation with friends, it’s a good idea to have a chat early on about your accommodation.

Don’t forget to discuss:

  • each other’s expectations for the week – including what behaviour is acceptable and your thoughts on visitors, partying and responsibilities
  • all costs including food, accommodation and bond. We suggest collecting everyone's financial contribution before you arrive.

Schoolies can be a stressful time for accommodation managers, and many will have zero tolerance for unacceptable behaviour. Make sure you are aware of your rights, but also your responsibilities when renting accommodation.

Expecting that you can just crash at your mate’s place may leave you stranded without a bed during Schoolies.

House rules and your booking

Often your accommodation booking will come with a set of ‘house rules’. It is really important that you receive and all read the ‘house rules’ (before you arrive) as they often list some really specific rules for your stay.

These can include:

  • whether you’re allowed to have visitors over, how many and at what times they’re allowed to pop in
  • some accommodation providers even ban you from bringing any glass bottles on to the property (this includes perfume bottles and jars of jam too)
  • specific rules around noise
  • balcony access including when you are allowed to use the balcony, acceptable balcony behaviour and how many people are allowed on the balcony at one time.

Reading your House Rules before you check in can help you avoid any nasty surprises or possibly being evicted.

Additional accommodation advice

  • Before you book and pay - get a copy of the accommodation contract from the accommodation provider and check that the terms and conditions are OK. This will help to avoid any issues later.
  • Read the fine print – check your booking terms and conditions. If you change or cancel your booking, you may be charged a fee, lose your deposit or be required to pay for the entire booking.
  • Check to see if a security bond is required – it’s money you pay (in addition to your accommodation costs) as a type of insurance against any damage caused to the accommodation including the room, furniture or fittings. If there is no damage, the bond is returned to you after your stay.
    • always ask for a receipt at the time of paying your bond.
    • know what you can lose your bond for and avoid doing it.
    • if you, or a visitor to your room, damage your accommodation, your bond can be used to pay for repair or replacement costs and you will not get the full amount back.
    • if the cost to repair the damage costs more than your bond, you may have to pay extra.
  • If your booking is cancelled – by the agent or accommodation provider, you are entitled to get back all your money because they have failed to fulfil your accommodation contract. If you're transferred to lesser accommodation, you should receive compensation equivalent to the difference in accommodation standard. See our section below on damage control if you experience issues.
  • Inspect the accommodation carefully when you arrive - report any damage immediately so that you can't be blamed for it later. Take photos of any damage so you have proof as to what state the items/accommodation were in before your stay.
  • Make an appointment with your accommodation provider - to perform the check-out inspection together just before you leave.


Ensure that noise (including music) is kept to an acceptable level to respect your neighbours and avoid getting into trouble. ‘Noise abatement' allows police to enter your accommodation without warrant, request names and addresses, and seize/remove equipment or make it inoperable.

Remember – the person next door may have to get up to go to work in the morning and a noise complaint could result in your eviction.


Don’t let theft ruin your Schoolies. To ensure your valuables and money are kept safe:

  • keep the door to your unit locked – ensure it always closes/latches properly behind you when entering or exiting your apartment
  • keep balcony doors locked when not in use
  • be wary of who you and your friends invite back to your accommodation – always check with your roommates before extending any invitations.
  • keep your valuables locked in the apartment safe (if one is provided).

Damage control

Remember that courtesy and good manners can go a long way in resolving a situation. If you find yourself in a situation with an accommodation provider, these handy steps may help resolve your problem:

Step 1

Take a deep breath – remain calm, remember your manners and respect.

Step 2

Check responsibilities under the booking terms and conditions, house rules and/or accommodation agreement.

Step 3

Talk to the accommodation manager/booking agent calmly to reach an agreement that suits everyone. Accommodation managers are required to have a complaint handling process in place, and you should lodge a written complaint with them immediately if you think your treatment has been unfair.

Step 4

Contact the Office of Fair Trading on 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for advice or to lodge a formal written complaint if you feel you have been unfairly treated.

Step 5

If an agreement cannot be reached, contact the Department of Justice and Attorney-General's Alternative Dispute Resolution Branch on 1800 017 288.