Strategies and advice to help your teen stay safe if they do choose to have sex at Schoolies.
Advice on how your teen can keep themselves safe whilst using social media.
Tips and advice to help your teen stay safe whilst drinking during Schoolies.
Tips and advice to help your teen safe around drugs at Schoolies.
Tips and advice to help keep your teen safe when out and about during Schoolies.
Tips and advice to help keep your teen safe in their Schoolies accommodation.
Ways to stay connected and support your teen during Schoolies.
Top ten discussion points for staying safe when out and about at Schoolies:
- Stick together - make sure they always have a one responsible friend to hang with and if they’ve had enough for the night, make sure they don’t leave anyone behind. And if they decide to go back to someone else’s apartment, always make sure they always have a friend accompany them.
- Get your teen to pre-arrange a meeting point in case they get separated from their friends
- If your teen or friend have had too much to drink or are feeling overwhelmed, they can always ask a Safer Schoolies volunteer (Gold Coast) or head to the Chill Out Zone or one of the Recharge Zones for assistance
- Save their hotel address in the notes section of their phone or save it as a destination in their maps app.
- It might sound over the top but remind your teen to always wear shoes – it’s quite common for schoolies to encounter glass, sharp objects and burning bitumen in their travels
- It’s important that they keep their hands to themselves – touching or groping without consent is assault.
- Remind your teen that they always have a choice – be the bigger person and always walk away from fights
- Get your teen to download the free . It helps identify their location and seek assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Don't let them forget to set up their Medical ID on their smartphone. Having Medical ID available from the lock screen of a phone allows quick access to vital medical information as well as details of who to contact in case of an emergency
- Remember to respect the local community and environment – people also work, live and holiday in Schoolies destinations.